SEAS Program (Formerly RVA)

Frequently Asked Questions

Special education involves a world of acronyms, new vocabulary, and yes, lots of paperwork. We’re here to help you cut through the “alphabet soup” and red tape to connect you and your child with the people and services that will guide you on the road to success.


  • What is emotional disturbance (ED)?

  • What is an IEP, and how does my child get one?
  • How do I enroll my child in the SEAS Program?
  • What is IDEA?

What is emotional disturbance (ED)?

Emotional disturbance is an umbrella term encompassing a wide range of characteristics. Generally, these children display inappropriate behavior associated with behavior or feelings and are generally unhappy. This behavior continues over long periods of time and is not explained by other factors. Many children suffering from ED may experience learning difficulties, socialization and behavioral problems, as well as serious affective disorders including depression, anxiety, bipolar, conduct, eating, obsessive compulsive, psychotic, and suicidality disorders. For more information, visit our Family Resources page for links to service agencies, or contact your healthcare provider.



What is an IEP, and how does my child get one?

An individualized educational learning plan (IEP) is a legally binding document required by law for every child receiving special education services through a public school. summarizes the required components of an IEP as follows:

  • A statement of your child’s present level of performance (PLOP)—this is how your child is doing in school now
  • Your child’s annual educational goals
  • Special education supports and services that the school will provide to help your child reach goals
  • Modifications and accommodations the school will provide to help your child make progress
  • Accommodations your child will be allowed when taking standardized tests
  • How and when the school will measure your child’s progress toward annual goals
  • Transition planning that prepares teens for life after high school

Children must undergo a formal evaluation process conducted by the school to get an IEP. The evaluation is free of charge. If you, a teacher, counselor, or physician suspect a learning issue, please contact our district's Special Education Department to request a screening.



How do I enroll my child in the SEAS Program?

Students enrolled in the SEAS Program have been identified as having ED. Your IEP team, which consists of counselors, teachers, and parents/caregivers will determine where your child can learn in the least restrictive (LRE) environment possible and refer you to the SEAS Program for enrollment, if deemed appropriate. Please contact our office if you have any questions about whether your child is eligible for enrollment in the SEAS Program. For general enrollment and immunization information, please visit our district website.


What is IDEA?

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a federal law enacted in 1975 designed to protect the rights of children with disabilities. The law requires that all children have access to a free and appropriate public education (FAPE). Schools must teach children in the least restrictive environment (LRE) possible—this means that we will teach students with disabilities in the general classroom whenever possible. IDEA is a comprehensive law, which also gives parents/caregivers a voice in their child’s education. We encourage you to be aware of your child’s rights and your rights as a parent by becoming familiar with the law. For more information about IDEA, please visit the website of the U.S. Department of Education Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services.